What is eSIM and How Does It Work? (Explained By Nomad Digital Entrepreneur )
Learn what is an eSim and how does it work, explained by a person who used and uses it almost every week/month during his travels around the world as a nomad digital entrepreneur.
As a digital entrepreneur and nomad, I’m constantly on the move, exploring new countries and cultures.
One of the biggest challenges I’ve faced during my travels, especially outside Europe, is staying connected. Because when I am in Europe I have my Three mobile roaming active and can use as feel at home. So no issue with speeds as it offers the mobile data with a local provider. However it’s not the case when I am in Dubai or India.
Whether I’m in Dubai, India, or Sri Lanka, reliable internet is a must for my work and lifestyle. That’s where the revolutionary eSIM technology comes into play.
The eSIM Revolution
Traditionally, connecting to a local network in a new country meant buying a physical SIM card – a process often fraught with inconvenience and time consumption. But with the advent of eSIM technology, things have changed dramatically. eSIM, or Embedded SIM, is a game-changer for people like me.
Understanding what is eSIM?
An eSIM is a digital SIM that allows you to activate a cellular plan from your carrier without the need for a physical SIM card. Integrated into your device, it occupies less physical space, allowing for slimmer and more efficient device designs.
How eSim Works?
The beauty of eSIM technology lies in its simplicity and efficiency. Here’s how it works:
- Device Compatibility: First, ensure your device is eSIM compatible. Many modern smartphones, including the iPhone, support this technology.
- Activation: You can activate an eSIM through a carrier’s app, scanning a QR code, or via a carrier’s customer service. In India, for instance, I activated my eSIM in just a few minutes, a stark contrast to the cumbersome process of physical SIM cards. However I must say the provider I used Airalo was complicated at first so Gowdham and Aslam helped with making it usable.
- Choosing Plans: eSIMs allow you to choose and switch between different carrier plans easily. This flexibility is invaluable for a frequent traveler.
- Dual SIM Advantage: Many devices with eSIM technology support dual SIM functionality. This means you can have both your home country’s number and a local number active at the same time.
For a digital nomad like me, eSIM offers several advantages:
- Convenience: No more queuing for local SIM cards.
- Seamless Connectivity: Easy switching between networks and plans.
- Space-Saving: Frees up the physical SIM slot for dual SIM functionality.
- Eco-Friendly: Reduces the need for plastic SIM cards.
In Sri Lanka, I’m currently using my iPhone with an eSIM, and the experience has been seamless.
The ability to browse the internet, upload videos, and stay connected without the hassle of changing SIM cards has been liberating.
Back in the days when I come to Sri Lanka I used to buy Dialog mobile sim and then on use on my second phone and then from it I Tether to my iPhone. No more of that waste and I just get the eSIM have it activated and as soon as I come out of the airport I am good to get online.
The eSIM technology will help my travellers and digital nomads get online and work easily. That’s why me and my team has decided to launch the world’s best eSIM technology for anyone to easily get connected to the internet and blog, share, buy, sell and do social media marketing to make money doing what you enjoy while traveling.
eSIM technology is a boon for travelers and digital nomads. It simplifies connectivity, offers flexibility, and aligns perfectly with the dynamic lifestyle of individuals who are always on the go.
As someone who’s experienced its benefits firsthand, I can confidently say that eSIM is the future of mobile connectivity.